on wednesday, march 11th, 2009 i went in for my regularly scheduled 28-week checkup. everything appeared normal and my midwife was doing the routine listen for the heartbeat with the doppler. well, she thought eve was just wiggling around because she couldn't find the heartbeat so she sent me to a different room to get a nonstress test. same deal at the NST. i started to worry, but i had just felt her move that morning so i wasn't too worried. they sent me to get an ultrasound and then i saw it. i blurted out, "her little heart isn't beating." and the technician said, "no, i'm sorry, it isn't."
after a long period of crying and talking about "what's next," chris and i decided to go to the hospital that day to induce labor and deliver her. we got there at 2 in the afternoon and she was delivered by 11:45 that night. it was such a blessing that it was a relatively quick delivery. everyone at the hospital was wonderful - so very kind and attentive to us. the delivery was somewhat traumatic on my body; i lost a lot of blood but i'm feeling much stronger now.
chris and i were able to spend as much time with our new daughter as we wanted so we spent a lot of time holding her and looking at her. she was incredibly tiny - only 1 pound and 10.5 inches - but her features were so perfect and beautiful. finally we brought ourselves to say goodbye and hand over her little body to the nurses.
her graveside service was held that saturday and i couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. the weather was gorgeous; my mom, bishop, his wife, chris and i all walked to the cemetary that morning for the service. the sun was shining and i think God knew that i needed a cheery day to make it through ok. the service was beautiful and so many of our family were able to make it. i was very happy for their support and love. we prayed and spoke and sang and watched as they put her tiny casket into the ground. i think eve would have been pleased with the service. it was sad, but i felt very peaceful.
what happened? we still don't know. everything appeared normal and after numerous tests, my midwife found that i had a placental abruption, but couldn't find any explanation as to why that happened. that is hard, but i know that sometimes things happen in life that we can't explain or that seem too difficult to bear. but i know that we can bear them with the help of Jesus Christ and His infinite mercy. i can do all things through Him that strengthens me. for some reason she only needed to be here for 28 weeks and chris and i are glad that we were able to love her and care for her for that short amount of time.
i don't know why these things happen, but i believe in a God who has a plan for all of His children, even when we don't understand it. and i believe in a God who will comfort us as He promises to: "come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and i will give you rest. take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for i am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls" (matthew 11:28-29).
19 comments:
I love you Sarah. You are such an amazing sister ;-)
Sarah I am so sorry for your loss. I am amazed by the strength in your words. I have another friend who gave birth to an angel. She carried her baby for nearly 41 weeks and went in one day to find that her baby no longer had a heartbeat. If you want to check out her blog it is http://rylieandchris.blogspot.com
You are truly a great person and I know Eve got to experience your love and is in heaven watching over her wonderful parents. You and Chris will be in our prayers. Eve Celeste is such a beautiful name. God bless your little family.
Love Sami
Dear Sarah and Chris,
You are both angels in my eyes. What a gift little Eve Celeste was and will still be in the days and months and years ahead. You will continue to grow and develop in Christ like attributes because of this experience. I am so sorry for this unfortunate and sad event and I don't know why. But I do know that God loves you and in time all the pain and sorrow will be made up to you. YOur strength and testimony shines through the clouds and brightens all of our lives. I love you. YOu are and will continue to be in our prayers. With all my love,
Aunt Annie A.
Sarah, I feel so touched by your experience (more than I can tell you). I am amazed at your strong faith. You are such an amazing person to be going through this so well and I really look up to you in so many ways
http://namesinthesand.blogspot.com/2009/01/make-name-request.html
This is something my friend had done. It is a beautiful service that this girl does for families who have lost children.
Sorry the above comment was not Mark but Sami
Sarah, your strength is calming and inspiring. Seeing you briefly in the last two days has been wonderful as I've seen that it is possible to be cheerful amidst such heartwrenching times. You amaze me. I really love you and am so sorry for your loss. You and Chris are in our prayers and we know that Little Eve is watching over you. There was such power in your words because of the truth that was spoken in them. Thank you for sharing them with us. I'm mostly always home if you just need an escape. We love you guys.
Sarah and Chris-
We are so sorry for the loss you're experiencing, it must be so difficult right now. You have such amazing faith and hope, and we admire it so much. If we ever have to go through the same or similar trial as you, we only hope that we can be even half as strong and faithful as you have been. Thank you for being brave and sharing your experience, it's truly touching and our hearts and prayers our pouring out for you.
Sarah, I am pained by your experience. I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your sweet daughter. Eve Celeste is such a beautiful name, and so fitting. I know that there isn't really anything that I can say to ease your suffering, but I hope I can help in some way. You're such an amazing woman.
Sarah, so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet baby girl. Your words really touched me, you're so strong! You and Chris are both in our prayers. Hang in there!
Eve is sitting with her big brother right now. You guys will be in our prayers. I love you both!
So sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through. We will be thinking of you.
Sarah, I'm so sorry. We love you and you and Chris are in our prayers.
Sarah, I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter. What a heart-wrenching thing to go through! My heart just broke reading your blog post. I'm so so sorry for what you had to go through. You are in my prayers!!
We were sorry to hear. I'm glad to know you're doing better. Let us know if you need anything.
Sarah and Chris,
I am so sorry to hear about your little Eve. Your quiet strength never ceases to amaze me- and now is no exception. Your testimony is inspiring. James and I are both very sad for your loss and want you to know that you and Chris are in our prayers. Please don't ever hesitate to ask if you need anything at all.
Love, Stephanie and James
Hey Sarah, it's Teigan from Kingwood. I stumbled upon your blog from Jessica and Roy's and just wanted to express our sincerest sympathies. I am so impressed by your faith and strength. What a perfect name for a beautiful little girl! You are in our prayers daily. God bless!
Sarah, you and Chris are so inspiring. Your faith is very admirable and I'm so glad that your testimony of Christ is helping you through this hard time. We also thought the graveside service was beautiful and we were glad we could be there. We keep praying for you!
Sarah,
Wow, what a trial. I'm so sorry you and Chris have to go through this. I'm really impressed with how you seem to be coping. I hope you really feel as strong as you sound. :) I sure love you!
Post a Comment