chris and i went to dinner tonight at stan's diner in provo. i was giving my review* of the place to chris (as i do for most everything), and chris said: you should put it on the blog. so i will. and since i love seeing and trying new things, places, etc., i might make reviewing/critiquing them a new trend.
stan's diner:
the epitome of a dive. a greasy little place across from gold's gym in provo. yet...whenever i drive by it seems to be busy. also...it's been open for 50 years. so i thought it was definately worth a try...and tonight was the lucky night. we were in the mood for some delicious burgers, plus something with more variety than a cheeseburger or double cheeseburger. well stan's definately has variety going for them. it was a hodge podge of any kind of food you can imagine. they have everything from gyros to jalepeno poppers to salads (???!) and tacos. weird mix, but i guess you can always get what you're craving. i might go back some time and get the jalepeno poppers...a favorite of mine.
the ambiance? well it's a cold, greasy, smelly diner. what else can i say about it?
the price? average, but more than it's worth, i think. for a burger, a sandwich, fries, and a drink, it was about $12.
chris ordered a big bacon cheeseburger (which turns out to not be that big) and fries and i had a BLT (which also wasn't that big, but definately filling).** if i had to choose three words to describe the food there they would be: greasy, salty, and not unexpected. the sandwich and burger were a little bland, like something you could get anywhere else. and although chris didn't care for them too much, i liked the fries - they were real potatoes and tasted like them; plus they were seasoned instead of just salted.
chris' rating: 3 stars. average. he didn't really like the fries, and he didn't like the fact that they put fry sauce on everything, including his burger.
my rating: 2 stars. dislike. it was actually 3 stars when we left the diner because i thought, "ok, it's just your typical diner." but as the night progressed and the pressure in my chest and the rock in my stomach got harder and harder, i reduced my rating to 2 (dislike). so if i have a heart attack tonight or tomorrow, i'm pretty sure we will know the cause.
over all - if you're interested in a traditional, greasy diner - this is your spot. i don't recommend it cuz it's not my cup of tea. but if you love dives and don't mind grease, or are just up for an adventure...go for it!
*i use the netflix rating system. don't know when or why i started using it, but i like it. 1 star- hate. 2 stars- dislike. 3 stars- like. 4 stars- really like. 5 stars- love.
**i have to confess that this was the first time i've had real bacon (non-turkey bacon) in years so that may have had some impact on the way my body reacted to it, but sans-bacon, i think it probably would have given similar results.
7 comments:
Yeah, I don't like that place at all. EXCEPT there indian fry bread. (or maybe Utah calls them scones) Anyways, they are actually really good.
But there's a diner in SLC thats actually pretty good and clean and they make there buns and breads fresh everyday. Its called Hired Big-H.
hahaha! I'm glad you went and tried it out! I remember you asking me about it! Dallin said he liked it a lot! I only had a shake. this is where I wrote about it...
http://dallinandemilymarchant.blogspot.com/2009/09/friday-date-night-2.html
I have heard tons of people love it though. I will have to try a burger one of these days! i laughed at your whole rating thing though! you take this very seriously! you should write more about places you eat so that I have a good guide to go off of! :)
Sad day :( I actually love the place but of course, you can tell I am a fan of fried stuff ;) They have some pretty good shakes and their fries are pretty good too (that's just my thoughts) I vote you try Lon's Cookin' Shack next...that is if you haven't yet.
Sorry, I thought of another place. Try The Jerk Shack on center street in Orem. It's across from Target. They have Jamaican food, the rice and peas is good (although I make better rice and peas). Kyle and I tried it cuz he went to a mission in Jamaica-he said it's not quite the same but it's good. Okay that's all.
LOVE THE HAIR!
I'm so glad you wrote this because I've been wondering about this place for a while but was always too scared to try it. Wish it was better for both of us :)
excellent! so maybe i'll have to give it another go, but only get a shake or some fry bread. i'm definately game for trying out lon's. it's such a funny looking place; all i needed was a recommendation. now i'm totally there. and i've seen the jerk shack, too, but never tried it. i'll have to try that one out, too.
We always wanted to go there but backed out every time... guess that was a good thing.
Sarah- you are an awesome critic by the way! You should rate more stuff for the rest of us :)
Post a Comment